Today my son will walk out of his school gates for the very last time. It’s exciting and sad all at the same time, and no doubt it will be an emotional day, filled with tears of sadness and tears of joy (the tissues are packed!). He’s been at the same school for all of his school life – fourteen years in total – so the way forward is more daunting possibly than for some as they move into a whole new world.
It’s a world filled with opportunity, choices, freedom, options and new relationships, jobs or study to navigate. It’s also a world that can sometimes be cruel, hard and challenging. So here’s five tips for those graduating today, to hopefully help you be the best you can possibly be:
1) It’s important to dream but turn these dreams and hopes into reality by setting goals and writing them down so that you have a plan and something to work towards and tick off as you go
2) Surround yourself with positive people, your Cheer Squad if you like. They say you are a product of the five closest people to you, so pick your friends, confidantes and advisers wisely – make sure they are supportive, positive, encouraging, kind and honest
3) Work hard so that you can play harder. Things don’t usually get handed to you on a plate, you have to work hard to succeed and get ahead in life
4) Always take action! It’s not enough to plan and dream, make sure you always take action and work a little on achieving your dreams each and every day, step by step
5) Take chances, embrace opportunities and push through your fears to make things happen. Fear can often hold us back, but if you can push through, the rewards and results are usually huge and well worth the effort
Hopefully these tips will come to mind as you work through the next few weeks, months and ever years.
My greatest wish for my son, and everyone else who is graduating today, is to live life to the fullest, make the most of every opportunity and look for positive ways to contribute and make a difference in the world that we live in and the lives of others.
Congratulations on making it through school and wishing a successful and fulfilling life that is full of love, happiness and laughter!